The Explosion

The Explosion

We were living at the “Project” at Avenel Street. I was in the appliance business with Ben Zelonka (Freeway Appliance).

The gas stove Betty was cooking on was a Gaffers and Sattler, a top of the line stove, with four-burners of different sizes and a large griddle in the middle. Betty enjoyed cooking on it. On Saturdays, I did the cooking of making waffles.

I was happily making one of our favorite dishes, bacon and eggs, when suddenly there was an explosion. 

The front first side of our porcelain-topped stove flew up. It happened so quickly I didn’t have time to be scared. Acrid smoke was in the room.

Then it was quiet. Momentarily stunned, I settled down and wondered what happened.

Soon everything became clear. The constantly lit gas pilot had gone out and was filling the room.

If I had the power I would outlaw all gas-operated appliances.

I tore out my built-in stove and put in an electric one.

Betty was unhappy at first, but soon, to her friends became an advocate.

No longer does she have to wash the scorched bottom of her pots. Cooking using electric burners is cleaner and faster than cooking with gas.

The only disadvantage is that the burners stay hot for a while.

I don’t remember the last time I read of an unexplained appliance explosion that killed people.

Our society has made some progress, I’m happy to say.

August 11, 2020

Author: Morrie Markoff

Centenarian (born in 1914) who lives in Los Angeles, and is also a metal sculpture artist and the Author of "Keep Breathing," available on Amazon.com and other book seller sites.